Steps to building a labyrinth
- Ask Mother Earth, the Spirit of the Place, Elementals and Native Spirits who may be on the land for permission to build a permanent labyrinth. (If setting out a temporary one also ask permission. Do not convert a temporary labyrinth to a permanent one with out permission!)
- Commit to caring for your labyrinth both physically and spiritually by walking it often and clearing it regularly.
- If, and only if, permission is granted, dowse for the location of the center of the labyrinth. Surveyor�s flags are inexpensive and easy to use.
- Dowse from the center outward to find the size of the center goal (C).
- Dowse location of the entrance to the goal and its width.
- From the center dowse to find the entrance of the labyrinth. (E) I always ask for the most appropriate entrance for anyone who shall come to walk the labyrinth.
- Dowse its width. Know that the distance out from the center may change as you dowse the rings from the center outward.
- Determine if the first turning on line 3 is to the left of right.
- For a left turning labyrinth, create the spine by making a straight line from the Right side of the entrance of the labyrinth to the Left side of the entrance of the goal, see above. (Reverse this for a right turning labyrinth.)
- Create parallel lines on either side of the spine making them the width of the entrance.
- Return to the center and mark the rings from the center outward completing each ring before going on the next.
- Allow the paths to vary in width according to your dowsing of the Earth�s energy rings. This allows each path to contain only its own specific energy.
- When dowsing the edges of paths 4 allow them to stop at the spine. See above.
- String the lines with surveyors tape by starting at the 6/7 turn for the male line and at the 5/6 turn for the female line. You will note when you come to line 4 (the heart center) the male and female line are one over the spine. The male line then continues in the same direction on the outer edge of line 4.
- Walk the labyrinth with your own form of blessing to clear the land and invoke a new sacred path before it is open for the public to walk.
- Rejoice, Share, and Keep your commitment to the sacred space of the labyrinth.
Click here to print the PDF of this page.